Project Proposal –Lin Lyu

Hierarchy in Buzzing

Outline:

This project takes the sound of buzzing as a pointcut to explore the relation among different noise levels, different prices and different consumer groups.

At present, I have completed the research and analysis of the project, including the specific impact of low-frequency noise on people, the study of spread of low-frequency noise and the analysis of consumer groups. It has been determined that the project object is the electric kettle which is sold in John Lewis’s. This project will be presented in the form of an exhibition, including appliance-themed packaging design, installation of live recording. And according to the collected sounds, try to re-arrange the music, and the arranged audio will finally be presented in the form of an interactive device.

As cities swell, there are signs we are finding it harder to cope with the noise. now, It’s a very difficult experience for everyone when the world is full of so many different sorts of sound and noise on a daily basis. People always associate excess noise with an industrial environment such as a factory or building site. However, the more subtle and widespread noise may be overlooked. For example, the household noise made by household appliances. The noise levels made by household appliances is inconceivable. You may find you’re so familiar with the sound of them buzzing away in the background that you barely even notice them anymore but even if you find them only mildly irritating, excess noise caused by commonly used appliances can have a detrimental effect on your health too. Some of the leading appliance manufacturers are actively trying to reduce noise levels to improve householders’ quality of life, but in appliance market, “silence is golden” only serve rich groups on some levels. The quieter the appliance, the more expensive it is. So, from this perspective, we can assume that It’s actually the poor experience the most noise pollution and health problems. These represent a double jeopardy for poor groups. Inequalities in exposure to noise just exist in our home.

Design goals: This project ‘I am quiet’ will use design as a tool to examine the relation between the sound of buzzing and the hidden class issue to spark discussion— It’s actual the poor experience the biggest din and inequalities in exposure to noise.

Why does the buzzing need to be concerned?

On the one hand, buzzing sound as a background noise have a negative impact on all of society. This kind of Low-frequency sound exposure has long been thought to be innocuous and ignored, and it’s not. A growing body of evidence links noise to health problems. On the other hand, social gap between rich and poor are revealed in buzzing. Relatively quiet appliances are expensive and out of reach for many households. Silence is more like a premium commodity which only serves a few rich groups. Therefore, the poor are more affected by noise pollution — and suffer greater consequences — than wealthier populations.

These dual stresses including poverty and health problems can represent a double jeopardy for vulnerable populations. Inequalities in exposure to noise still exist in the world which we should deeply think about. Cities are louder than ever, and it’s the poor who suffer most.

What reading and research has led to this project?

The reading ‘Links between noise and air pollution and socioeconomic status‘ inspire me to some extent, It points out that ‘noise pollution have a negative impact on all of society — but some groups are more affected than others’. Also, ‘lower socioeconomic status is generally associated with poorer health, and noise pollution contribute to a wide range of other factors influencing human health’. These two points present evidence on people in deprived areas are more affected by noise pollution — and suffer greater consequences — than wealthier populations. Moreover, Scientists have documented that environmental hazards, such as air pollution and hazardous waste sites, are not evenly distributed across different populations. Often socially disadvantaged groups such as racial minorities, the poor and those with lower levels of educational attainment experience the highest levels of exposure. In my opinion, it reveals that noise exposure may follow a similar social gradient. This unequal burden may, in part, contribute to observed health disparities across diverse groups. And there is no doubt that lower groups bear more which support my argument.

In 21st-century cities we have to contend with sirens, drills, shouts, rumbles, bangs, screams, barks, crunches, beeps, moans and babbles only a wall away. As our homes, schools and offices cluster tighter together, what can we do to stop the ruckus?  John Lewis’s gives me the answer, silence is golden and a premium commodity. For example, there’s a “quiet revolution” tab on John Lewis’s appliances page with high price, John Lewis’s technology director, Laurence Mitchell, says  “If you look at things like appliances, to have a lower noise level you may need things like an inverter direct-drive motor (which reduces the number of motor components, and therefore noise, particularly in washing machines), or increased dampening, and of course those things come with a cost,” he says. Consumers should be prepared to pay more for a quieter life.

These two related research implied that silence is expensive which support my argument, sometimes, buying low noise products doesn’t come cheap and the general rule of thumb is that the quieter they are, the more expensive they are. For example, one of the quietest lawn mowers on the market, the Robomow Automatic Robotic lawnmower, has noise levels of 72dB compared with your average mower’s 95dB but it also has a price tag of £1,699. when we back to my project the background sound——buzzing, all of the research reveal that advanced technology only serves a few rich people, and that poor people are suffering from worse noise. And a host of physical problems. inequalities in exposure to noise are presented in these ways.

reference:

https://www.science.org/content/article/sounds-you-cant-hear-can-still-hurt-your-ears

https://www.johnlewis.com/content/electricals-tech/quiet-mark-technology

https://ec.europa.eu/environment/integration/research/newsalert/pdf/air_noise_pollution_socioeconomic_status_links_IR13_en.pdf

Motivation:

For a long time, I was affected by otitis media, which lead to I can’t stand the harsh environment noise. The sound of buzzing is a deadly noise for myself.And two months study of our electives about find the “connection” inspires me to some extent. This triggers my reflection about the buzzing sound and drive me to rethink the connection behind the buzzing.

What is more, from my personal perspective, I can’t afford a 134 pounds and quiet electric kettle. It seems like high-tech machine say ‘NO’ to me forever. Inequalities in exposure to noise just exist in my home, I am the sufferer. I want to use design to convey my voice. Technology are invading human life, and at the same time aggravating the unfair distribution of social resources, causing more suffering problems. Inequalities just exist, whoever you are.